Wed 27 Sep 2017 20:43

Sat 9 Sep 2017

Dorchester RFC
Bournemouth RFC

Dorchester started their season with an outstanding game of rugby which went right down to the last kick of the match

The game started in lively fashion with both sides looking to play with ambition but after only five minutes Dorchester’s young fly half Alex Peel suffered a serious knee injury and had to be stretchered off. Clearly suffering from the disruption the hosts immediately conceded a converted try. As the new half back combination settled down Dorchester worked their way back into the game and James Baker crossed in the right hand corner following good work by Jamie Morgan. The hosts looked to be in control but they then conceded a sloppy try, Bournemouth players reacting quicker as the ball slipped out of the side of a Dorchester scrum. The successful conversion extended the visitors’ lead to nine points. Again Dorchester hit back as a move straight off the training field saw Baker slicing through midfield and scoring between the posts. The conversion was a formality and the half time whistle blew with Dorchester just two points adrift.

The second half continued to ebb and flow with both sides having chances but unable to add to the score. It then appeared that Bournemouth had seized the initiative with two tries in five minutes. Firstly they found space down the right wing and although Dorchester made their tackles the support was on hand to get over in the corner. Then a complete mix up in the Dorchester defence allowed the visitors the simple task of running in unopposed. With Dorchester trailing by fourteen points it looked that the game was up but the hosts showed great spirit and refused to give it up. Inspired by the returning Sam Jones they fought their way back into the game. It was Jones who charged down a clearance kick, regathered and set off for the left corner. He was stopped inches short but the referee considered the tackle to be too high and awarded a penalty try. With five minutes left Baker again broke through the visitors defence only to be tackled a yard short but Sam Jones was hand to pick and force his way over. The conversion slipped wide leaving Dorchester still two points behind. In a frantic final few minutes Dorchester were awarded a penalty for an offence at the breakdown. James Baker took on the responsibility and lined up the kick from thirty meters. As the crowd held its collective breath Baker’s kick bisected the posts and the referee blew for time. Dorchester winning by the slimmest of margins.

After the game coach Ben Parker commented

“I think this was the start we needed, against a very strong Bournemouth side. The lads showed team work, determination and positivity to secure our game target of 5 points. At times we made some silly mistakes which gifted the opposition 2 simple tries making the game very tight. We will go away and work on this for the next game and set our standards higher. Our man of the match for me was Harry Wheeler, with a solid performance from the youngest member of our squad”

It was disappointing however not to be able to put out a 2nd XV side against our near neighbours Puddletown. We had low availability, mainly due to a number of players attending a local festival.”

Man of the Match

This week's Copper Street Dorchester, Costa Coffee Man of the Match was Harry Wheeler. On his Debut and one of the youngest members of the Squad,he never looked out of place in a Dorchester shirt, showing just how handy around the park he can be.

Team Sheet

Match Highlights

Full Match Replay